|Study location||Hungary, Budapest|
|Type||Undergraduate Programs, full-time|
|Nominal duration||7 semesters (210 ECTS)|
|Tuition fee||€3,200 per semester|
|Application fee||€150 one-time|
|Registration fee||€100 one-time|
High school / secondary education (or higher)
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Hungarian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Original and translated documents are to be shown in person as part of the registration process in Hungary.
Original and translated documents are to be shown in person as part of the registration process in Hungary.
Intermediate command of English is required. Please note that all applicants need to participate in an online admission interview. During this interview, you will need to prove your language skills and the admission committee will make the decision based on this performance. If you do not reach the necessary language level, you won’t be granted admission even if you have previously obtained language certificate.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum language requirements have to start their studies with a University Foundation Program.
In 2022, Óbuda University was ranked 186th in the QS EECA ranking and 301–350th in the Times World University Rankings (Young University Rankings).
Óbuda University is the number one practice-oriented technical University in Budapest, Hungary. Their engineering and applied science departments and programs are among the nation’s oldest with 140 years of rich tradition, established in 1879.
Óbuda University is an excellent institution in any Engineering or IT field, but they are most famous for their achievements and leading role in the field of robotics. They are the founder and current leader of the Central European Living Lab for Intelligent Robotics (CELLI), a network of 18 robotics centers and SMEs form 7 countries.
The University has world-class research and education since Óbuda University has
8 internationally recognized research, innovation and service centres including
- Antal Bejczy Center for Intelligent Robotics (iROB)
- Bio-Tech Research Center,
- Physiological Controls Research Center and
- SmartLab Center.
ÓU students have great achievements in several national and international competitions, such as at the Design Challenge Robotics Building, Bosch Electromobil, Mitsubishi-Scholarship, Pneumobil, Shell Eco-marathon, Hajós György Mathematics and PLC Control Engineering Programing Competitions, Spaghetti Bridge Building.
József Galamb – The first world-famous student was József Galamb, designer of the FORD Model T.
Charles Balough- President of the Hercules Motor Manufacturing Company, designer of Ford T-modell
Rudolf Emil Kálmán – electrical engineer, mathematician, inventor of Kálmán filter
ÓU students are involved in professional practice at foreign partners annually; students are required and encouraged to participate in active research and design in the project laboratories and to develop their abilities to do independent research.
Why should you choose our Environmental Engineering study program?
• Because we train professionals who respect and protect the environment and understand the processes that take place in it.
• Because an environmental engineer not only knows the environmental values, but also manages them in a sustainable way.
• Because as an engineer, you would learn to design technologies that can operate with the lowest possible harmful emissions, with the highest efficiency.
• Because as a student, you will be involved in everything from field measurements to laboratory preparation and analytical methods.
• Because you can be a member of a community where you have the opportunity to develop your specific approach and present it in scientific and professional conferences.
The aim is to train environmental engineers with up-to-date knowledge and skills of applied natural sciences, ecology, technology, economics, and management. They can identify environmental hazards in various areas, and they can use their professional experience to manage prevention and remediation actions economically and efficiently. In possession of their professional knowledge and skills, they are capable to take part in the prevention, reduction, and elimination of environmental pollution and damage; in endeavors towards the rational use of natural resources; and in the operation of low-waste and energy-efficient technologies. At the end of the training program, our students will be able to develop technological solutions for waste recycling, hazardous waste disposal, while they will get general knowledge in the field of nature and landscape protection, environmental policy, as well as are able to communicate and work with domestic and foreign professionals with their engineering qualifications and knowledge of a world language. They are suitable for the design, organization, control, and creative participation of environmental projects in engineering, and are able to adapt to ever-changing requirements. In the field of environmental engineering, we are training professionals who will have the appropriate knowledge and competencies to improve, maintain and operate the environment in an environmentally friendly manner.
Our students take part in a multidisciplinary course that can be utilized in many areas.
• They get a comprehensive ecological approach and knowledge about the aspects of landscape analysis and assessment, the biological foundations of environmental protection, and the applicability of modern biotechnological procedures.
• They also gain knowledge about the utilization of renewable energies, waste management, wastewater treatment, air quality, noise and vibration protection, and the environmental policy of the EU and Hungary.
• They have up-to-date technical, technological, human- and natural science knowledge to prevent and redact any sort of environmental impact.
• They are able to do environmental impact studies, risk analysis, comprehensive evaluation about a plan or a project, taking into consideration of environmental aspects before the activity itself.
• They have the appropriate competencies which are needed to perform the basic sampling procedures and measurements that are required to perform environmental audits.
Nature and landscape protection, earth science expertise, public health, environmental biology, ecology, protection of environmental elements, environmental operations and technologies, GIS, environmental economics and environmental management, knowledge of environmental law, systems approach, quality management systems. -The knowledge acquired by our students during their studies and the skills acquired during the internships can be utilized well in the productive sphere, at economic organizations, at local governments, at nature conservation, water, and environmental inspectorates. As environmental managers at enterprises and plants, their qualifications can be applied in the planning, controlling, and implementation processes of prevention and remediation.
1. Green Energy Specialization
Nowadays, knowledge about Green Energy is indispensable for both the domestic and the foreign energy sector and the industrial partners. The aim of this specialization is to get knowledge about renewable energy sources (wind, solar, geothermal, and hydropower) and to learn the conditions about how to design and how to apply them. We also provide insight into the conditions for the cultivation and energy utilization of biomass raw materials.
2. Municipal Water Management Specialization
The most important goal of municipal water management is the sustainable water supply, which ensures the supply of the population and other consumers in long term, according to public health regulations while taking in consideration the effects of climate change. Modern wastewater treatment and recycling of treated wastewater at a high rate can ensure the protection of recipients and the retention of water on site. At the settlements one primary task is to drain the rainwater without any damage and to utilize it as much as possible locally, which is in accordance with modern water resources management. During their studies, the students of the specialization get acquainted with the integrated tasks of municipal water management, the purpose, and possibilities of precipitation management, and acquire the methods for performing engineering tasks of river basin management and exploration. Students get know the methods of remote sensing in settlement development and environmental protection, hydrometric and hydro-ecological measurements during field measurement exercises.
Please note that specialisations are launched only with the necessary amount of students.
As a graduate of this program you will be able
- to perform basic tests of the quantity and quality characteristics of environmental elements and systems by state-of-the-art measuring instruments; to draw up and implement measurement plans; and to evaluate data;
- to solve tasks of water, soil, air, radiation, and noise protection, as well as of waste treatment and processing at proposal level; to participate in preparing decisions; to perform authority audits; and to take part in the operation of these technologies;
- to perform environmental impact assessments and to participate in compiling impact studies;
- to apply environmental remediation methods, to prepare for and participate in remediation;
- to apply in practice as well the regulations and requirements of health and safety, fire protection, and safety engineering as related to their special field;
- to communicate both verbally and in writing in their mother tongue and in at least one foreign language, in respect of professional issues, and to continuously develop their professional skills as required;
- to perform public administrative and authority tasks related to environment protection after getting acquainted with the duty assigned to them;
- to carry out assignments as environmental officer;
- to participate in project and proposal implementation and audit tasks based on their knowledge;
- to carry out management duties subject to sufficient professional experience;
- to cooperate with engineers involved in the development and application of production and other technologies to develop the given technology in terms of environment protection;
- to participate creatively in engineering work based on their multidisciplinary skills, as well as to adapt to continuously changing circumstances;
- to reveal deficiencies in the technologies applied and process risks and to initiate mitigation measures after getting familiarized with the technology concerned;
- to take part in environment expertise, advisory, and decision preparation work.